20030221

Very interesting Japan life blog... well to me anyway.

The train is city life, simply. I caught a late train home Saturday night. I hustled, and managed to get a seat. However, not everyone was so lucky. A man about my age chose to sit on the train floor, adjacent to the automatic sliding doors. But soon his posture changed, his legs sprawled out and his eyes shut. Finally, he hit deep slumber and adopted an all out fetal position. His body blocked the entirety of the exit. The train stopped at several stations, but the slamming of the door, and the people stepping over him didn't seem to wake him. Saturday nights are rough.

I shared a moment of giggles with my fellow train passengers. It was nice. One of the few human moments I've ever really had on the train.


That is classic Japanese quirkiness.